Friday, August 9, 2013

College Protection

 
My wife was at the Florida Keys Community College campus running an errand when she saw this  rather fearsome vehicle on campus.
 
 
It used to be there was a rather mild mannered security dude in the hut at the entrance to the campus who would make his rounds of the campus. My wife used to work on the college grounds and after hours she found reassurance in the guard keeping an eye out for her when she was working late. Not that she ever felt afraid being alone at FKCC at night. Blackwater? Protection? These are the mercenaries one associates with coups d'état in African dictatorships and nefarious behavior in Iraq at the US government's request. In an age when the National Insecurity Agency seems to think that I should believe that storing my e-mails will keep the country "safe" it should come as no surprise that mercenaries show up on a community college campus in the guise of protection.  I wonder what the Founding Fathers (and their wives) were thinking when they agreed to add the Bill of Rights to the documents they thought a free country needed.

4 comments:

RichardM said...

If that's the same company, then it is really, really odd. Many colleges have been forced towards the police force route due to incidents li VA Tech.

MBeattie said...

I don't think you can use the Blackwater name unless you are Blackwater.
I think.

Martha Tenney said...

Blackwater changed its name right after the lawsuits starting pouring in. I think they called themselves "Xe" after that.

Trish R said...

That IS strange. I live about 5 miles from the original Blackwater in Moyock, NC. Became Xe, now something else, i believe. Still plenty going on there...