Friday, October 25, 2013

709 Baker's Lane, Key West

The way I take pictures for this blog is pretty simple. I walk or ride around with my Android HTC 4G telephone to hand and I snap what I see. I am very fond of the phone as a camera and most of the time I think of it as a picture taking device not as a means of communication. It has built in filters and I enjoy playing with them so you will see color saturated pictures or because key west is so full of colors sometimes on a whim I scale the saturation level back. I try not to do the black and white artistic thing too often as the point of my diary is to show things as they are, warts, telephone lines, outrageous colors and all.

I mention this by way of introduction because when I was on a lunch break with nothing in particular to do I scanned some of the author addresses in Key West that I wanted to photograph and I selected Baker's Lane as the next in my vague series about authors' forgotten homes in this literary town.

 

So when I pulled up near 709 Baker's Lane and discovered that it was the scene of much activity that blocked my photographic view I was left with a couple of pictures and no coherent story. I got a couple I liked and ran out of time and went home wondering what to do. Add old pictures of the lane in my files? Make do with the few I got? So Instead I went back, with Cheyenne in tow this time. Different day, different pictures, same place.

 

 

2 comments:

Brian Antoni said...

Hey,

I enjoyed your walk down Baker and memory lane. I live at 709, Herlihy's house and feel his presence and see his ghost all the time.

Next time, stop by for a drink.

Brian Antoni

Conchscooter said...

Okay, thanks I shall.