Friday, August 19, 2011

Avenida Primiceria

"Prima" in Spanish means 'first cousin' so as Cheyenne and I strolled along, I chewed over the likely meaning of this unpronounceable street name.


Google translated it as "abbess" or some such pertaining to a
nunnery. Let me say I have no idea which county planner settled on that name for this street in the south of Marathon.


It looked as though this was a subdivision that had been planned before Marathon was created just over a decade ago so I blame the county for this weird street name.


The rain had blown away by the time Cheyenne and I set off to explore but the air was fresh with that ozone smell peculiar to a recent rain.


Cheyenne and I were alone with the mosquitoes.


An eminently suitable suggestion though who they expect to casually drive by and see the sign I wouldn't know.


We were well off the beaten path here.


Hurricane shutters firmly in place against all eventualities.


I have no idea why so many people prefer to drive trucks that are larger than their homes down here. Quite aside from the cost of gas the are no hills, no snow no deep rivers to cross in the Keys. The are boats to tow and work trailers to haul but most people just seem to enjoy lumbering around in these hearses.


This subdivision was built around some canals dugout of the ground when such deeds were permitted, eons ago.


And some residents got whimsical with the tile decor. I rather liked the effect.


Not a tree but a sailboat mast, further evidence if any were needed that easy ocean access is available from these canals.


The air was still, saving for the beating buzz of mosquitoes in flight and in search of prey.


A very tall tree against a gray sky. I would not hazard a guess as to what it's called, though they are not uncommon.


Not real but decorative:


When we got back to the car we drove around Abbess Avenue and connecting streets and it was all a dead end, a great big closed loop. So we got back on Sombrero Beach Road to get back to Highway One.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

The tree?

Norfolk Pine.

Invasive species - drinks absurd amounts of water per day. Pretty? yes. Practical? No.

Conchscooter said...

I want to live on Norfolk Island. Well, in my fantasy life.