Friday, August 5, 2011

Islamorada Beach Road

I am not much of a fan of the Upper Keys, those are the islands closest to the mainland, which to my jaundiced eye manage to look more like mainland suburbs than centers of alternative living. Of course these are the Florida Keys nonetheless and therefore there are certain features that inevitably remind one of where one is: turquoise water at the end of the street for instance.


These reminders of the nature of life in the islands are brought home by the stilt housing for instance, or...


...the abundant and particular foliage.


Spanish moss and palms above and....


...more of the same above! This next house looked decidedly odd to me following no divine proportion or feng shui attributes one could imagine.


Tara on a minuscule scale and very odd it looked too. But there again such eccentricity is, or should be, the mark of Keys living.


As are coconut palms and a tired hot dog. August is not Labrador friendly.


This monumental Stonehenge seat is provided by First State Bank, the last local bank in the Keys where I became a very happy customer after I abandoned corporate Bank of America. I suppose I should have tested the bench but it looked more ornamental than practical.


This part of Islamorada, a town with "no there, there" as Gertrude Stein famously remarked of Oakland, California which failed to reveal a downtown core to the woman, has a street or two paralleling Highway One so if like me you should be moved to explore, it is relatively easy to do.


Which I shall do in future posts about the area around the hurricane monument.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conch:

Stilt housing is very common on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and now you can see it in parts of New Jersey as well. I associate living in the keys with outlandish colors, unusual architecture, and paradise-like foliage. I would go ape shit to have a real banana tree, graprefuit bush, and key lime tree in the front yard. I'd plant a rum tree out back too.

While I understand the psychology of life in the Keys, like everyplace else, it stands to be diluted into a memory by visitors who come to roost.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Conchscooter said...

Come to my house and go ape shit. I have rum inn the drinks drawer. I have a nice backside ready tompost tomorrow morning, form you, my love.