Friday, August 5, 2011

Wet Dog

At a time when I hear nothing but complaints about unseasonal weather, it seems rather embarrassing to note that summer weather in the Keys is totally normal for the time of year. Rain, more rain and intervals of bright sunshine and not too hot as is the universal complaint Up North during the extended overheated drought.


We've had some spectacular thunderstorms lately, loud cracks directly overhead, momentary power outages, like a ship rolling in a storm in a movie made prior to computer animation.


I like the summer rains, which break up the endless monotony of clear skies, puffy clouds and bright sunshine which beats down on us most of the day. Cheyenne is not much of a water dog but she doesn't mind the rain too much as it drops the temperature by ten or fifteen degrees. When she got out of the car and the wind lifted her ears she was enjoying the cool breeze.


We stumped around a little, taking the time to get wet while I took pictures and she stuck her nose in the bushes. There is something very relaxing about hanging with my dog and doing it under the drizzle makes it much more companionable.


I'm not quite sure how I feel about these elaborate mailbox holders. Are they cute? Over the top? My wife figured one would be rather fun at our home in California where manatees are not well known, certainly not as mailbox holders. Or anole holders.


We drove home in the rain, aiming for the sunny skies now settling in over Big Pine Key.


We took another longer walk but it wasn't as much fun it seemed to me, out of the rain.


I quite admired this dude pounding up the hill that is the Niles Channel Bridge. People wonder why I ride my motorcycle in the rain butbi do have the right clothing unlike this guy.


Perhaps bare skin is the way to deal with a sudden heavy and short lived downpour.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

How do you deal with glasses in the rain? That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Rain on my glasses.

cpa3485 said...

We wouldn't mind a little of that rain up here. It's been blazing hot and very little rain. We did get 2 inches a couple of nights ago, but hadn't really had any for a month before that.
Cheyenne is lookin' great!
Jim

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conch:

I think that manatee mailbox post needs a bit of an adjustment — with the bumper of a Suburban. There is a difference between original and cute-like-stupid.

I do like anoles running wild, however. It must be neat to have them in your yard.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Brady said...

Conch,

I don't know the anatomy of a manatee, but the positioning of those two make me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

Conchscooter said...

jeffrey, i wipe the lenses with my fingers or a dry piece of shirt.
brady i'm pretty sure i dont want that mailbox holder. but mine lives under a coconut tree so it has been pretty beaten up over the years.