Monday, August 29, 2011

Keys Pix 7

The sailboat at anchor is a perennial Keys image. The newspaper reports the county is going to try to limit living aboard for free in local waters. It's been problematic forever, people dumping their toilets directly int the water, just like people on land using septic tanks which don't work in porous rock. Then there are the bright sparks who abandon their fiberglass hulls to blight the landscape forever...and so regulations are coming.


Pulled up at a traffic signal, and sunlight was cut off by a human made cliff suddenly interposing itself alongside.


I have a colleague who drives a jacked up Jeep, at 15 miles to the gallon...and Tina, apparently at the wheel of this monstrosity likes to pay through the nose for gas. I'm glad my passion is for relatively economical two wheelers rather than these things. Must be tough to be in love with a sun blocking cruise ship of the highway.


Driftwood as art, caught in the rocks of a seawall.


Strong tides have been running which I suppose has to do with the new moon at this point. I notice the full moon much more than I do the new moon in my land bound life.


Being close to nature was one of the pleasures of living at anchor.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Jack Riepe said...

Dea Conch:

There is news and there is news, apparently.

The first is that I will be replacing my "Rock of Gibraltar" Suburban with a Ford 150 pik-up, that is at least 4 inches taller than my previous truck. I need something that can pull a trailer, that has 4 wheel drive, and is capable of digging into rough terrain.

The second news is that there is a 50/50 shot that I will again be living in Upstate, NY by the end of October. Should this come to pass, it will mean a dramatically shortened riding seaon for 2012 — plus some other changes. But there is nothing I can't handle.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Conchscooter said...

I liked upstate new York when I was there. It will be better than suburbia. I look forward to riding there.