Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Smathers Sunrise

I woke early on my day off and took myself to the city to walk my dog.


The full moon was a bonus.


The sunrise draws crowds to the sidewalk lining the water. Behind the beach lies the airport, where the sun also rises.


But watching the water is the more popular pastime.


It's all a bit theatrical isn't it? Exactly what Tennessee Williams was celebrating when he first raised his glass to the sunset at Mallory Square all those years ago.


For some sunrise is the time to be commuting...


...for others its the time to be crowing.


This guy at first looked like he was feeding the birds. They gathered around expectantly while he fiddled with a briefcase.


The sun meanwhile carried on rising.


Yes, I know it's a cliché, but still it looks good.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Brady said...

Conch,

You've captured something common only in the Plains States and Coastal areas - fantastic skies. This summer in July I took the F650GS out on the ridge behind my in-law's house and was rendered breathless by the sky there. The picture you posted full of oranges and clouds brought that memory to mind immediately.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Sir:

I remember the days when I'd just be staggering in around dawn. Now I seem to stagger around the clock. Under any other circumstances, finding a chicken on the street would be remarkable.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Anonymous said...

Some nice shots Conchy old boy..!!!


Buffalo Bill

Conchscooter said...

I'm glad it worked.