Thursday, September 15, 2011

Big Pine Burning

We had some hot calls last night at work and my trainee did quite well. When I train I give it all I've got because I want to know if the trainee can stand the stress of working dispatch and I want to make sure when I unleash her on my colleagues she will know what to do and how to be a full team member in a room that works as much by training as by protocol when the 9-1-1 calls are all lighting up. So training for twelve hours a night wears me out.


As a result I stepped out of the house feeling rather bleary after breakfast especially as my dog was mad keen for her second walk of the day. The dawn walk when I got home was forgotten already and Cheyenne the Wonder Lab was irritatingly frisky.


And much to my surprise Big Pine Key was on fire and roasting quite nicely to judge from the horizon.


There was actually a very small inconspicuous notice posted outside the CVS pharmacy explaining the prescribed burn, designed to clear undergrowth and allow new growth to sprout.


It is also I have no doubt a useful time to train firefighters in ways to protect the Keys when the burn is decidedly not prescribed.


Fire is always a little scary to see, except to people who actually enjoy that stuff. I remember when I was a small boy our kitchen caught fire at home and the blackened charred room was quite frightening and my mother covered my eyes when we walked by the same way she did when there was a bad wreck on the autostrada.


Some people like fires And enjoy the challenge of exerting control.


Not to be tragic but I've told my wife if ever I am really badly burned to please finish me off as I cannot imagine the agony of surviving extensive burns. That these people, photographed on the fly, do these acts of bravery for a living is beyond my capacity to imagine.


Flames are scary and I'd rather try to return broken merchandise to a big box store than deal with this stuff.


Big Pine Key looked quite beset.


I'm glad they knew what they were doing.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Whenever the forests burn up here (and they close 75) it is always scary. Sometimes I look at the satellite photos of the giant plumes of smoke and try to understand the sheer size of some of the burns. It boggles the brain.

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas and for the last two weeks you could look out the window and see giant, billowing clouds from fires about 15 miles from my home. It's very disconcerting knowing over a thousand homes had already burned and a mostly out of control fire is sitting framed in your window.

Conchscooter said...

The paper this morning reported the fire got out of control going from the planned 21 acres to more than a hundred. Two firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation. Not much by mainland standards, especially Texas, but bad enough.
Climate change anyone? How weird does the weather have to get before we discuss this like adults?