Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Seascapes From Cudjoe

These views from the Overseas Highway looking south are typical for the time of year.


Flat waters and clear skies with a light southerly breeze made for a delightful stroll yesterday.


Cheyenne was restless for reasons known only to herself so I stopped the car to get some peace. It worked and she tired herself out.


She rooted around, I stood and admired the views.


Looking across Kemp Channel toward Sugarloaf Key I could see the earthball.org hovelcraft. The idea is to create a small living space in a Buckminster Fuller type of sphere and add a platform around the ball which one then goes off and floats somewhere.


Back on the Cudjoe side of the bridge my Labrador was still busy lost to sight among the mangroves.


I couldn't believe how pleasant the afternoon was yesterday, despite the 90 degree afternoon, humidity was low and the breeze was refreshing, such that I wasn't even sweating


On the radio I had been listening to Talk of the Nation on NPR (91.5 FM) and a discussion of the out of control drought in Texas, causing tremendous brush fires with huge loss of property.


John Burnett was saying cows are being slaughtered in droves owing to the lack of water and of feed, but furthermore ownership of cattle was a generational thing and once lost the cattle could not afford to be replaced even were there young people ready to take up the ranching trade.


As it is, he said cattle may not return to Texas ranches. And still they deny climate change for it is better to ignore disaster than to confront it.


How lovely then to live in a corner of the country enjoying a perfect and prolonged summer.


Why did the dog cross the road? To look for smelly abandoned bait fish of course!


Not everyone lives in a stuffy little cottage in Old Town.


Some like to live near and see the water. It can be worth exchanging easy access to bars for an open seascape.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that your picture sizes have really shrank, is this on purpose? It makes it very difficult to read on occasion. I find myself squinting to see the pic while i'm reading the text. In the past on your blog the pics were much more easy to see. Just my .02...

Nate

Conchscooter said...

On blogpress they all enlarge with one tap on the picture.using my laptop most of the pictures don't enlarge from reason I don't understand.