Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bad News, Good News

My unfortunate encounter with a couple of boring screws yielded a final bill of $134, balanced and installed. Much better than the temporary doughnut which returned to the darkness of the cellar in the trunk


My good fortune came in the form of a sudden offer of overtime for a few hours Monday evening, sufficient to clear the unexpected bill. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of a crisis a wrecked nearly new tire could cause in the already precarious lives of the unemployed whose numbers keep increasing. Does anybody really think the stress of not being able to pay the daily bills is better than having a decent job, were one available?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My zuma tires final bill was $97. Seems like alot for a small tire. Scooter vic

Conchscooter said...

Installing motorcycle tries sucks. I am glad to pay $50 to have some one else do the work. If you paid $97 all in thats in the ballpark I guess.
Its one of those fallacies about riding that its cheaper. Bikes use less gas but maintenace costs are surprisingly high iof you put miles on a bike.

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

The Harley was the first bike tire I couldn't change myself, although getting a tubeless scooter tire to seat is a bitch.

A bike wheel on/off is $50. That's why I do me own work.

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

One more thing:

A neighbor with a poliece scanner alway wondered about the curmudgeonly Englishman employed in dispatch; he was quite surprised to hear of your non-English origin. I shan't introduce you - I promise.

Anonymous said...

Geez, I love this blog! The level of discourse is so far above others - people actually think, converse pleasantly, and utilize words of more than two syllables!

Diana in Citrus County where we are about to freeze our asses off tonight with temps in the 30s

Conchscooter said...

Diana you must have been watching the Republican debates.
My dry sense of humor and frequent need to point out the unacceptable seems to manage to degrade the conversation from time to time.
Oh well.