Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dog At Rest

It was a short walk in the afternoon, more of an escape from the house. We drove over the forty foot high Niles Channel Bridge, which apparently is in urgent need of maintenance, and crossed onto Summerland Key some three miles from my house. At the north end of Niles Road on Summerland, Cheyenne got out of the car, stumped around briefly and decided it was too hot for the serious walk I was hoping for.

By the time we got home I lost the will to live just like my dog. I was due to set off for work in an hour, so instead of doing a few chores I settled onto the recliner under the house and pulled out the Aerostich catalogue Home :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear in the manner of a mentally stunted adult male that might look at women in swimsuits or a woman might check handbags online. It was very companionable.

There is some sort of Venturi effect under the stilt house that makes it the breeziest and thus the coolest spot outdoors in summer right there on the unlovely cement floor. Why is it we get accidentally snug with very little effort just as we have to get up and go away and do something useful?

1 comment:

Martha Tenney said...

I woke to snow on the ground. Just a dusting, but it got the f-word out of me. Oh, I mean "fed up".

Love the first photo. It looks hot, cool, still and stormy all at the same time.