Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Tennessee

We said goodbye to Pensacola but only after I cracked a crown.  
 
I broke a front tooth riding a mountain bike in California 30 years ago and it has been nothing but an irritation ever since. Chewing corn off the cob was bloody stupid in that condition and I paid the price. 
 
Jack Riepe described this as my vacation face. I joked  while I bled and they stuck me with needles and glue. All is well if temporarily and my insurance kicked in for half the 200 dollar bill. Onwards!
 
Rusty was the epitome of patience on his bed in the back seat, popping up from time time to look around and then curling up for a nap. I love his curiosity at every stop no matter how mundane. He loves life.
 
I know we overdo the mileage on these road trips but there is so much to see and so many people to meet that destination gets piled on destination. Riding the folds of land last night across Tennessee I couldn't help  but wonder how the non- freeway roads must have twisted and undulated but we had to arrive so we drove  75 with bursts to 80 inbetween blue flashing lights, of which there were too many and I achieved my goal of not talking to a cop for a day.
 
Schloss Sadler in the dark of a full moon forested night. Instead of being greeted by vampires and creaking doors we ate chicken and biscuits and cobbler  and beer and conversation and Rusty could hardly contain himself when he saw the woods. Good things come to them as wait. 
 
 
 
Gary and Barbara melted away to do the jobs that got their kids through college and raised them in these corner of a different Paradise than thet say is Key West. Gary lists after Key West and now I'm here I wonder why. 
 
Watching Rusty prowl the woods and sit in the lush grass to watch the world goby I know where he'd rather be. I can't fault my dog for his common sense. 
 
 

5 comments:

Trobairitz said...

A vacation and a cracked crown. Aren't you special.

Gary and Barbara's place looks like a beautiful area to stay and for Rusty to smell all the new smells.

Garythetourist said...

Looks like a great place. I'll have to visit there sometime. :)
It was a pleasure to have you two. My only regret was that we had to "melt away and go do our jobs;" I would have loved to had the day to show you around the city. Maybe next time. Besides, we still have some beer left over.

David Masse said...

"Vacation face" ha-ha-ha-ha!! In truth you have what I estimate to be the ideal Shakespearian face. Stop by Stratford Ontario on your way to Toronto you might get an audition on looks alone. The accent will seal the deal :)

Speaking of Mr. Riepe, how is he?

Conchscooter said...

He's working is Riepe. Full of piss and vinegar I fancy playing Falstaff because Trobaritz is right I AM special. Specially in pain.

Garythetourist said...

I re-read this post and it makes me think of that old saying about the grass always being greener....