Saturday, August 27, 2011

Big Pine Fantasy

It's on the road to No Name Key and out of the mangroves comes a suburb of smooth lawns, landscaping and large homes on open lots.


I don't know who dreamed up this development but they didn't hold back and it is not like anywhere else on this island.


Large homes, solar panels, bicycle paths. This is not the avenues where most people live on Big Pine.


Look at those seawalls, leading to open water. These homes are on canals. Nice stuff.


Each island has a particular neighborhood, Sugarloaf Boulevard looks something like this, Cudjoe Gardens has million dollar homes on canals, and Big Pine Key has this subdivision way off the beaten path.


Follow this road for half a mile and the No Name Pub will appear on the right.


I wonder how many people driving to the pub that can't be found (they say) even notice these homes, reserved for the most part for temporary winter residents.


I don't think this kind of Spielberg ET-land is quite my cup of tea.


But I do like the mixture of old Florida, vegetation and colors.


I dare say the neighbors he might be more welcoming than the angry snowbirds who live on my street in winter. No one should be allowed to live down here and walk freely on the streets with a frown on their faces all the time. Perhaps I should move here!


The southwest influenced red home isn't apparently for sale, though I'm pretty sure my strait laced wife wouldn't go for a red and turquoise decor even with a cactus out front.


Look at this though. The owner says they have to follow their job and this place is for sale at $325,000 FIRM. How firm I don't know but for the money you get the empty lots on each side apparently permitted for a garden and a pool, all along the canal. I see a fruit orchard and a vegetable garden but who needs a pool when the salt water is there? Luckily, moving these days isn't an option especially to a place an hour and a half from our jobs in Key West! This is a nice spot though.


Cheyenne had enough of the ninety degree afternoon and was less enthusiastic than I.


Those perfectly manicured lawns are a great place to catch your breath if you are a hot dog. And who is hotter than Cheyenne?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: