Monday, August 8, 2011

Driving Electrons

Working for the police doesn't make the sinking feeling of being 'lit up' any better, indeed perhaps it makes it worse. Having to tell your Lieutenant you got a monster speeding fine is just the icing on the cake when it comes to feeling like crap. Thus I like to see a fine police motorcycle safely parked as I'm driving by.


Texting while walking. Suits me. Texting while driving drives me nuts and we seem to be suffering from an epidemic of this kind of stupidity. In Key West we also suffer from people, visitors perhaps, stepping off sidewalks like they're in Disneyland. Yet it is real traffic rolling by in the street.


I thought this scooter riding was getting a riding lesson but that was just me being sexist. She was actually texting and happily she was not moving. I see tons of people riding scooters operating cell phones. I don't understand how it is that driving became a secondary occupation while operating a motor vehicle.


Here's a woman focused solely on riding her bicycle. Today's gold star recipient. Not an electron in sight.


Not only did they park their motorcycle like it was a car in a parking lot but they couldn't figure out how to pay to get out.


Just around the corner the Westin has free covered motorcycle parking and all around town there's free parking on the streets. Why ride and think like a car driver?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

I like communicating with the world from my front porch. This is the pinnacle of modern communication, IMHO.

Brady said...

Conch,

For the first time in quite a while I can honestly say I'm glad I'm not in the Keys. Usually, you've got me clobbered, but today, looking at that poor guy, shirtless, on his bicycle I thought "No, thanks." It's in the 70s, (The perfect temperature if you're raised in the arctic north) and the window is open next to the computer.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

Conchscooter said...

Nobody envies anyone living in the Keys in August. As Chuck notes it's an acquired taste.