Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Style Hurricane Shutters

I like proper hurricane shutters like these pictured below. These are bog standard, aluminum sliders that fit into a frame screwed into the wall above and below the window.


The aluminum sheet slides into place and is normally secured by wing nuts so that you can tighten them by hand. The aluminum shutters should be strong enough to get you a break on your hurricane insurance policy too, but they have a major drawback. What if your window is hard to get to?


My little house is surrounded by a comfortable deck so I can get my aluminum shutters in place in less than an hour with no ladders and very little in the way of balancing acts. For inaccessible windows these modern locking sliding shutters are excellent.


They live in place outside the window and when needed they can be slid across to cover the glass and keep flying coconuts out of your house. You can see the sliders for traditional aluminum shutters in the photo below:



Before a hurricane hits lazy reporters will usually head to the hardware store to get their cheap and easy stories of storm preparations. That's because those without the money or foresight to buy stronger purpose built shutters will make do with plywood drilled into the walls. It works.


Some places use nothing at all. I have come home after a storm and found little pieces of grass blown under the shutters and wedged against the glass as though some giant lawnmower had flung grass clippings against my house at two hundred miles an hour.


There is a lot of power in the winds of a hurricane, not least because hurricanes spawn tornadoes in their midst. Flying debris is a real problem when the winds start howling and when I'm stuck at work I like to know I've done what I can for my home.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

RichardM said...

Thank you for the post. I have wondered for years when watching the news stories about plywood sheets over the windows why folks just didn't use purpose built shutters over the windows. It isn't like they are surprised when a hurricane shows up...

Conchscooter said...

One can buy many twelve packs of Bud for the price of proper shutters. and you can't have a hurricane party without cheap beer.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

That was a lessen in patience - learning to install shutters myself. I think next time I will hire someone to do it professionally in 1/2 the time.

So how do you like creating content on your new iPad? I have mixed reviews for creating content (though all were positive for consuming content).

Aluminum Fences said...

Hi,

Hurricane shutters, which are available in a number of different styles, are used to help protect homes and sometimes other buildings from the damage usually caused by storms. Thanks a lot....