Monday, September 12, 2011

Bangla Deli

The Bangla Deli made an appearance rather unexpectedly in my life at work the other night. My wife who was working late in her classroom had promised to bring dinner by for me and usually that means Outback's very reasonable 6 ounce steak dishes with a green vegetable. Visitors often ask where do locals eat and when one replies "Outback" they get miffed, but the chain offers consistent decent steak dishes with cheerful service and low cost. And tons o' parking in Searstown.


Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the arrival in Key West Police Dispatch of a wife bearing gifts. It turns out she had gone downtown with some girlfriends and she trailed Kathy to Bangla Deli on Simonton at Truman where they both checked out the Indian food. I'm buggered if I know what they are called but the top one was a spicy vegetarian breakfast dish with some delicious chewy and crispy flat bread. The lower picture shows a beef dish with basmati rice and the usual naan type flatbread.


They were ten bucks each and very much worth it. My wife says the deli is currently offering just a few Indian dishes at a time but they want to have an Indian restaurant running in November. Roll on, I say!


Dispatch isn't the ideal setting for dinner but the callers were considerate and we got twenty minutes of peace and quiet. The Bangla Deli is where the old Deli used to be and I think the transformation promises well in a town that sorely needs Indian food. I have heard rumors too that badboy burrito may be adding Vietnamese food to our city's choices. Things seem to be looking up all round with Amigos Cal-Mex doing well. You can never have too much affordable ethnic food at the end of the road.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

11 comments:

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

Are they at the old Eat-N-Grinn?

If so, I'm on that like a fat kid and chocolate.

Brady said...

Conch,

I love Indian food - and I grew up in the square center of corn country. Beef, potatoes, beef, potatos, Pork, noodles, beef... you get the idea. Salt is all the seasoning you need. I'm glad you enjoyed it, cause my old man hates garlic like an anemic vampire. At least everyone isn't as obstinate about food as he is.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life

Conchscooter said...

The deli then eat and grinn but I'm not sure where the restaurant is planned for yet.
Dunkin donuts chuck and Wayne say is coming back to town and they ate excited about that. It has been rather odd living in a town with no doughnut shop.
Also my wife thinks kinks may be the box store planned for rockland key.
America is in a depression, even Canada is in a recession but the keys keep growing.

Anonymous said...

I too like Outback - as a local here in Tuscany, that's where we eat and where I'd recommend you eat when in Tuscany.

We'll look for the 'Outback' when we're next in Key West.

Sometimes I think the "locals" are what will kill Key West.

Conchscooter said...

I had an expensive dinner at Michaels and it didn't deliver.

Anonymous said...

Vietnamese and Mexican food from the same kitchen sounds like trouble. I once knew a Chinese food joint that decided to get into donuts and put up a sign that read "Donuts & Egg Rolls". Unfortunately, the donuts tasted like they had been fried in the same oil they were using for the egg rolls.

Conchscooter said...

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. A rush to judgement is what kills Key West.And platitudes and clich├ęs.

Anonymous said...

The Keys and in particular Key West is desirable beyond it's natural beauty in part because it is a respite from the ubiquitous Walmart, Ruby Tuesday and Olive Gardens. Add those to the mix and it becomes just another small American town.

To hear that this is what the locals want, is troubling at best, in a "be careful what you wish for" kind of way. The outcome would be as predictable as an IHop in Tuscany.

How would you feel about Rome (or Romans) if you hear that their locals want a Red Lobster, or more specifically if there was a movement to bring an iHop to Tuscany.

Me thinks, the locals. in both places should be protected from themselves.

By the way - I too went to Michael's once and had a predictably poor meal. My wife chided me at the time about going to a Steak Joint in a small island town in the middle of the ocean, especially one that likes to brag about having strong Chicago ties (the Stockyards left Chicago decades ago). That to me would be like suggesting Tequila is the indigenous drink of the Florida Keys.

Anonymous said...

I heard that!

Maybe the vietnamese/mexican combo will knock the cover off the ball and make money hand over fist. They're definitely thinking outside the box and as long as they keep their nose to the grind stone and put in lots of sweat equity they should laugh all the way to the bank.

I do find the combination hard to swallow, so maybe they're just blowing smoke.

Hasta la vista and I hope you don't think I'm yanking your chain.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think a vietnamese/mexican combo joint would be far more KW then either of them alone. It's crazy and daring and out of the box - so in character. In the keys a burrito would be a waste of time to me, but a Vietnamese stuffed burrito? Thats wild - I'm on my way.

Conchscooter said...

i think the lads who created the badboy burrito shop will do a nice job of vietnamese if they do decide to turn their hand to it, and i hope they do.
its a vexing question, how much franchising can one allow? first amendment and community standards notwithstanding...
Italians dont do canned and frozen food as much as americans but the high cost of living, multiple jobs and shattered families are doing in Italy what they have done in the US, at least among the working class.
Not among snotty expatriates of course who settle in Chiantishire and sniff at declasse yobs. But hey we'll soon have snowbirds in paradise telling us yokels where to get off. take it coming and going around here!
when i joked with Giovanni about going back to live in Italy when the US descends into civil war (not sucha joke at the moment, thank you rick perry) he looked hrrified and gave me a long long lecture on the abysmal quality of life of everyday italians. he too works for a living.