Monday, September 12, 2011

My Life In An RV

It's an odd sensation riding in something the size of an 18 wheeler and yet to be in something that more accurately resembles a moving home.


With a tank that holds one hundred gallons for a 700 mile range one pays four hundred dollars at current prices, or close to. Tires are big and expensive, parking is awkward, backing up with a car in tow is impossible and so forth.


Yet it is quintessentially American to travel and see over the horizon to view what comes next. My wife and I did it by sailboat, Chuck and Wayne do it by RV. Not a bad way to go.


One tows a car behind and if you think of it as a home on wheels the whole setup is ideal in a hurricane zone. Have a disaster? Get in the RV and fire up the generator. Leave town and take your car with you.


Traveling with dogs? An RV is ideal with air conditioning, space for food and water bowls and all the reassurance of the familiar, in a home setting. Wayne is convinced Cheyenne used to travel by RV in her former life she took to it so easily in the boys' vehicle. She slept, we traveled.


The dogs got out and walked at stops. Cheyenne and I walked the woods and found an old truck buried in the undergrowth. We are explorers, my dog and I.


You never know what you might see over the horizon, except for a truck stop, a gas station or more roadway. They are part of an RVer's life, always. The bad news is a cheaper RV will be noisier underway the boys tell me. And this is complex machinery so things will break.


Some members of the family like traveling, and an RV suits her just fine, the little explorer.


Modern traveling homes are fast, relatively speaking and comfortable and easy to use. I was amazed to see how much modest little cars held us up in our imperial passage along ordinary roads.


I saw motorcycles braving the thunderstorms of South Florida while we sipped cold drinks and watched the windshield wipers blat back and forth.


They charged forty dollars for the night which seems a lot except they gave us electricity water and sewer facilities, just like a sailboat in a marina.


We parked and set up our home life with air, a kitchen and beds,


All mobile and all just like home.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

RichardM said...

I've always thought that it would be nice to travel around the country when I retired. With the cost of fuel and campground fees, probably not unless I do it on two wheels. And the way the economy is going and the value of any retirement I have shrinking, unpowered two wheels....

Conchscooter said...

there is a drive to deprive us little people of retirement in the name of national solvency. the bankers? not so much, they get to keep our money for some reason that no one will explain.