Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cheyenne's Waterfront

I am going to miss Truman Waterfront when the thirty four acres of glorious open space get filled in. I rather think Cheyenne won't much like the change either.


She and I come down here from time to time and if we see half a dozen summer people walking or cycling it's a lot. I thank the Navy for declaring it surplus and for giving it to the city.


I like the absence of busyness, I like the two retired coastguard cutters parked at the seawall and run by volunteers.


It's the perfect wilderness surrounded by busyness.


The plans are being worked out for the proper final use of this emptiness, and they include an old folk's home, maybe, and a high end marina and shoppes and all that fake stucco and brick walkway and impeccable flower bed stuff. You've seen it in a development near you.


There's money to be made and progress cannot be stopped.


Overnight camping is prohibited and the area is patrolled but this place makes for a nice park during daylight. It even has a Porta-potty.


If you look closely enough there is something of interest to sniff out even in the most unlikely places.


And pretty pictures appear as if by magic right at your feet.


Others appear overhead. I couldn't help but contrast and compare Nature's best effort...


...against the human created skyline.


The old Navy warehouse still stands. I liked the idea of incorporating it into a form of farmer's market. People object saying there is no agriculture in the Keys. True enough, but Homestead, 125 miles away is one of the great crop growing areas of the entire country. Personally I'm tired of buying frost burned lettuce from the stores. It goes bad in a day.


Decrepitude is not always a bad thing when it's not lettuce.


Sometimes entropy has a particular appeal. I fear the future, with its promise of economic retrenchment as far as we can see. Aside from all that, the arguments in favor of insistent expansion gain ground as the fear of bankruptcy stalks the land.


This island used to be a sandy mound with unused Navy fuel tanks buried on it. Now it's Sunset Key a refuge for the one per centers among us and famous people who think they can get Key West and privacy simultaneously on this exclusive sterile little suburb.


High end condos to the right of us, multi-millionaires to to the left of us.


What hope that this emptiness stay as it is? Absolutely no hope.


Clean up, improvement, change, are all in the cards.


My plan is to enjoy it while I can. Joni Mitchell was right.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

7 comments:

David B. said...

Except that in this case, we're going to tear up a parking lot!

Conchscooter said...

Well, fair enough, but it would be nice if they planted fruit trees and stuff, along the lines of central park or the golden gate. I dream, I know.

fxrguy said...

Here's an idea. Why not utilize the old navy warehouse the same way Charleston does with their City Market. Instead of a farmers market, make it an arts and crafts market for the local artisans. The tourists would eat it up and at the same time provide a little income for the locals!

Conchscooter said...

i think its a great idea and exactly whats needed.

fxrguy said...

I don't live down there anymore but if I did I would suggest it to the City Counsel?

Conchscooter said...

it has been suggested and the idea has been ignored. the city commission is pressing ahead with plans for an upscale marina. the fate of the two coastguard cutters in retirement is not clear as the spottswood plan requires them to be moved to an unsustainable spot on the seawall, interfering with boat traffic in the basin.

fxrguy said...

Money talks? I visited key West with my girlfriend last November over Thanksgiving. I hadn't been back down in maybe 12/15 years. On one hand I was impressed with how much cleaner the city was and the amount of year round commerce. At least the "locals" have more work. Having said that though, I am glad I lived there when I did. With all of it's drawbacks back in the late 70's, it was still very funky and laid back. Growth should not always be confused with progress.