Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Leafy Green Leaves

I wondered why the nice lady went round Cheyenne and I in the street but it wasn't us, it was the jungle.


The sidewalk was impassable but we ploughed through the wet fronds. Adventure! I have no clue what they are called though.


Well, not really an adventure, but Cheyenne was having fun and I was enjoying in a modest way, the otherwise empty sidewalks. I was quite surprised to see the relatively big red car badged as a Mini. I discovered something new, the Countryman.


Apparently it was quite controversial in the motoring world when it was offered for sale as they said it looked so big. It seems to fit into small parking spaces in Key West.


Not as small as a scooter but I wouldn't mind if my car got 35 miles per gallon.


Flowers, yellow, unknown to me.


I have a real problem remembering the names of plants and animals but I think these are buttonwoods. I think. Maybe.


I'm pretty sure this is a royal palm.


I think it's a royal palm because of the long smooth trunk. Other than that I haven't a clue.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

David B. said...

Plus one for the silver buttonwood. Lining the sidewalk like a jungle are our only native palms, thatch (or cat) palms.
The royal palm is Roystonia oleracea. I'm guessing the yellow flowers are smallish, and I'm still working on those.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Sir:

Who the hell can keep up with these things? When I ewake up in the morning, they''ll be fifty more of these.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Rob said...

It is a Royal Palm. The Royal Palm closely resembles the Manila Palm, but the main differnce being that Manila Palms are much smaller, and the fronds of the Royal Palm shoot from the frond's midrib section at random angles, whereas the Manila Palm's fronds are much more orderly and grow at a uniform angle from the midrib structure.

You can thank my dad for that mostly useless piece of information.

Conchscooter said...

Well b ugger. I keep thinking there's hope for me yet and then I get overwhelmed by midribs and structuires and orderliness. I will just have to keep on keeping on.I got the bloody buttonwoods down though.

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

To Jack -

You could always opt to read a one post a day blog with scatological references and plastic Kama Sutra statues...

I'm just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

You not knowing what type of palm this is cracks me up beyond belief. You are so quick to complain about tourists and you call yourself a "local" in nearly every posting, yet you can't tell what type of palm this is... Yes Sir Buddy.... Your a CONCH

Conchscooter said...

I don't give a toss for the names of flora and fauna as i've long since stated. The human gene for naming and collecting things passed me by. But I do know the difference between ’your' and 'you're'! That undoubtedly means I'm not a graduate of KWHS!

Len said...

I didn't know that you needed to be a botanist to live in Key West. My hopes and dreams have taken a serios blow today!