Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spanish Main


Many years ago I read an article about how a study carried out in a Seattle neighborhood showed residential crime dropped by a marked degree when neighbors went out walking their dogs.


Which is not to suggest Cheyenne would have such a beneficial effect on Spanish Main on Cudjoe Key but I like to think my travels with my dog cheer her up. She was having an amazingly intense time sniffing all the rocks and trees and poles on the street as though an army of smelly dogs had preceded her just recently.


Call me skeptical but I find it hard to imagine a deputy could be sitting on Spanish Main on an empty September afternoon checking for speeders. I hope they are out in force in February because this place is a beehive in winter.


One has to imagine that drunk drivers are here year round when one trips over delicious Bud Lite in the grass, lying as though tossed from the window of a speeding car, badly driven.


A snowbird's boat tucked away under the house for the summer, the best swimming season down here, and "secured" for hurricane season with a cable lock and some weedy twine. I wonder how much peace of mind that gives when winds reach 130 miles per hour sustained?


Where's my cannon to shoot down Spanish Main?


Dog, resting, hot.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Sir:

With regard to your reference to a cannon, is that what you are calling your Bonneville these days? Your dog is an excellent example of what people thing of a Labrador mix, but I doubt she'd scare off a chocolate eclair. As you are aware, my soon-to-be-former girlfriend has a massive German shepherd that we have to protect with a poundling.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Conchscooter said...

Cheyenne is an english lab and in better health than Atticus but bless feisty than scout. I can't wait to see you again.