Thursday, September 29, 2011

Static Bonneville

It would seem obvious that after four years and 54,000 miles it is time for a change.


In a society where newer better faster is the mantra and where we are encouraged to keep buying to improve the economy, I find myself entirely content with my Bonneville.


I have found the 2007 Triumph to be the ideal ride for me, powerful enough to deal with slow distracted drivers, comfortable in stock trim for prolonged rides and reliable enough that I would recommend it without a second thought to anyone seeking a daily rider.


Flatistan is not the ideal countryside for motorcycling, it's true, but the climate is as close to perfect as it gets, so that makes it easy to get on at the least excuse to go for a ride.


In and around Key West two wheels make more sense than three or four, and a motorcycle agile enough to maneuver through congested streets (no lane splitting allowed in this retarded state) light enough to be easy to push and park while still being economical enough to compete with scooters when one considers the utility of a full sized motorcycle, is what makes the Bonneville an ideal ride.


I like the look of the new Triumph Tiger 800 and the new Suzuki 650 V-Strom both with tons of luggage options and other accessories to add, more horsepower and modern water-cooled fuel injected engines, but neither with enough of any reason to replace my perfect Bonneville. Besides we are in a Depression. Who needs more debt?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

bobskoot said...

Mr Conchscooter:

I was thinking that you had come to your senses, finally . . . The V-strom seems like the most sensible alternative for your next set of wheels. I thought so.

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Conchscooter said...

The new v storm is beautiful. Send loonies.

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

There's enough aftermarket parts to keep my 26 year old H-D Sportster alive for another generation; same performance and actually appreciating in value. A bike which pays for its maintenance - who would have thunk it?

Certainly not the Beemersnob crowd...

SonjaM said...

I am glad that you are still content with your Bonnie. I find that this bike has been and will always be an ageless beauty. And one fine day I shall have one, too. Here's to another 50k miles.