Thursday, October 6, 2011

Post Prandial Con Leché

To seek out an after lunch Cuban coffee in Key West is not the hardest thing in the world. Cuban cuisine rates as truly local and ethnic food in Key West and everybody is in on the con
leché
bandwagon these days. You can't turn a corner without some store or hole-in-the-wall is offering the best Cuban coffee.



I was seeking a desirable location before I had to head back to my training class at work thus it was I chose the place close to the waterfront. I am shy about making myself forward and being all "Hail fellow well met" with the harried waitstaff in eateries. I tip generously and am polite but I feel certain they have better things to do than engage in pointless conversation with me.



I got my coffee alright, but boy she took the biscuit for brusqueness, did the big blond Brünhilde who snapped "$1.75!" at me twice while I, spaced out, stared aimlessly at the multiplicity of signs in the Cuban Coffee Queen's window. I half hoped my lack of response was going to force her out of the booth and stomp all over me in stilettos but I meekly handed over cash including tip and she unhappily limited herself to glaring at me. I hope her day got better for her.



Mine did. I wandered the waterfront for a bit and admired the man and the statue, you decide which is which.



And I enjoyed the boats, the overcast sky and the smell of salt water. I dare say I enjoyed my lunch break more than any of my colleagues, but I could be wrong.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't the Cuban Queen just run a job ad seeking polite and cheerful staff, or some such?! LOL and all that!

Conchscooter said...

They need to poach some from Paseo which I write about tomorrow morning!