Monday, October 3, 2011

Wheels Of Desire

The announcement that my colleague had bought a new car came as something of a surprise to me. For years he had complained of his car payment on the previous staid four door sedan he had owned. Now he has this:


I can only imagine the payments on this lovely Camaro put the payments on the old car to shame, especially as it must have been free and clear by now..


So one could be critical and say that no payments are better than a fine new muscle car, but we all know that's not true. We can imagine sitting hunkered in the bucket seat zipping down the Overseas Highway. A new car is a fresh start, a make over, new dreams, new aspirations, a new self.


His boyfriend is gone, he lives in a new place, he's on a diet and now he has the gay equivalent of a chick magnet.


Not a bad deal I'd say for a few hundred dollars a month.


I have never seen my wife get passionate about a car until, four years ago we were in Italy and the new Fiat Five Hundred (Cinquecento in Italian) came on the streets. I was afeared she might have plans for a life makeover, putting the old hubby out to pasture and bringing in a new cute car.


Here it is, "her" car, a convertible on these very streets of Key West. And she says now we wait for a used model to show up at Carmax in a couple of years when Greek debt is rolled over permanently and employment figures are back on track, then we'll get a Cinquecento.


That is the drag of being middle aged. Grand gestures and impulse purchases are limited to shopping at Costco and only after all bills are paid...


She likes her Vespa ET4, 150ccs of raw power disguised as a puny little moped. She enjoys blowing off cars on the Boulevard shocking them with it's surprising power and acceleration. I have seen 70mph on the open road on her Vespa and it's freeway legal!


Following her on my Bonneville I was forced to evaluate my own lack of desire for a replacement for my motorcycle. I guess I am happy where I am.


These are strange times for all of us, on the one hand we wonder where our economy could possibly be going, with 50 million medically un-insured, similar numbers in poverty and one in five kids on food stamps. Unemploymentbis officiallyaround nine percent and unofficially arpund twenty two percent courtesy of shadowstast.com. Still we hope for the best and we dream and scheme and consume, work and hope and wait for the best. I like seeing that brand new symbol of confidence and hope when I arrive at work on my well worn Triumph Bonneville.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

David B. said...

My first car was a 1966 Fiat 600D, and there was no greater joy to me than uncurling from that tiny little car and being 6'2" tall, Addams-family style. It would also run for two weeks on $3.00 worth of gas. I really got a great flashback last year when Fiat decided to bring the 500 to America.

Conchscooter said...

My sister has her original 500 garaged in her shed in Umbria. She says she's too embarrassed to drive it as it attracts too much attention. Those cars are all icons now.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Middle age started for me at 36. Sigh

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

I would love to have your sister's cincquecento. Please tell her to sell it to me.

In the meantime, if we ever get another new car - it would likely be a cabrio version of the 500. White, burgundy roof, white interior with burgundy accents. Abarth rims and steering wheel to complete the package.

Check your email when you get a chance.

As for the Camaro - think $500/month. Ick. I'm glad to be living debt free with a 15 year old Geo.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conch:

I take posession of a new (used) truck at the end of the week. It's not a Suburban, but my first pickup. This should be interesting.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Amanda said...

Personally waiting until they bring the Abarth to the US in 2012. Nonetheless, from my test drive in Denver last month, the 500 seems to be an exceptionally well-made car, for an exceptionally low price tag.

It is a little narrow for 6'5" HB, though.