Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Demoralized Limestone

My wife came back from Turkey with stories and pictures of magnificent rock formations in Cappadocia. She and her Key West girlfriends flew above the pointy rocks in a hot air balloon and the experience fired their imaginations.


It's a stretch but these limestone formations put me in mind of my wife's stories of Turkish delight.


Cappadocia


It is the effect of endless waves battering this pile of rock and washing away striations over time.


The effect is otherworldly.


I know of no other place in the Keys that looks quite like this.








This is the old pump house for the water main installed by the Navy in 1942.


World War Two ended Key West's dependence on rainwater and cisterns. I'm guessing the limestone was much more solid back then.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Len said...

A couple of those shots remind me of the Giant's Causeway" in Ireland, except on a much samller scale. Where were your shots taken?

Conchscooter said...

I've never been to Ireland (because I'm an idiot) but I have seen pictures and I agree. These pictures, Cheyenne the acrobat and seaweed and cement all came from the south or west end of the old Bahia Honda bridge.