Sunday, December 11, 2011

Marrero's Guesthouse

I am not at all familiar with bed and breakfast places around Key West, obviously as I have my own bed (and breakfast) to go home to every night.


But there was a lively debate about one local B&B on the Trip Advisor site which shocked me frankly. Some comments were bitterly, viciously critical of the place while others thought it was a fantastic place to stay. I was reminded of the operator of our B&B in Rome, where I don't have a bed of my own anymore, who said she lives and dies by amateur reviews on travel sites. I cannot imagine the stress, and there seem to be no restraints on some people on the Internet. I avoid commenting on the forums.


Marrero's looked great to my uncritical eye, well kept and tidy and if you want to be in the heart of Old Town, no more central than this is possible. It looked to be a fine place to stay.


I had my own moment of supreme embarrassment up the street. I had my gaze turned away from my dog who snatched -true story- a half of a Subway sandwich carefully stashed on the luggage rack of a parked bicycle. I stared in disbelief at the fang marks my Labrador left in the sandwich wrapper. I wasn't mad because she never steals food at home but when she's out in the wild rubbish is fair game for her inquisitiveness... "Don't worry about it," a street vendor laughed. "It belonged to my buddy, I'll let him know." I had no money to compensate and shuffled off clutching the mangled sandwich.


She enjoyed it while I was left to scrape up the remains and toss them in the trash can. I deserved my sticky hands smelling of mayo for my trouble, I guess.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Bryce said...

See? Cheyenne is really quite normal...any trash worth eating is worth grabbing,

Good one!

Conchscooter said...

She is a goat in a fur coat.