Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Catherine And Georgia

Afternoon light, shining up Catherine convinced me to stop and walk and take a few pictures.


Catherine Street at White Street is marked by Island Gym, a pale yellow building that used to sell fancy bagels, years ago. They were pricey but of greater interest to me than this.


There is a row of apartments just around the corner, low buildings with a long porch ideal for street and people watching.


And a utility pole can be ideal in this environment for whimsical decoration.


Conch cottage.


Hairy palm trunk:


This cement wall intrigues me every time I ride by.


I don't see many walls like this in Key West though sometimes I think the poet's ironic reflection that strong fences make good neighbors applies for real on a small island.


When welcoming guests is the trade then a cheerful painted face is a much better fence than a severe cement wall.


And easy ample covered access for rented scooters is also desirable. Parking is a big concern for visitors who worry.


My bougainvillea is blooming though it's not as big and as busy as this.


These lovely louvered windows should have been closed tight to allow the air conditioning to do it's job. I am not sold on a future that might involve no air. I like cold air. I am a lesser mortal.


Big trees for shade make perfect sense in this torrid clime.


Shade and air conditioning for me. Catherine Street is a fine alternative street when Truman Avenue is clogged and everyone is lined up and bored waiting to get to Duval. There's lots to enjoy rolling down Catherine on the way to the fleshpots.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: