Saturday, October 27, 2012

Waterfront Market

It came as a bit of a shock when Buco Pantelis fell out with the city over the rent charged for his organically inclined market and then he was gone. Wha...? The building has been empty ever since a small northern grocery chain had a go and failed. This summer new plans were unveiled and approved by the city which is the landlord, and the last we the people heard was that a brew pub was going in.

Renovation work on the building ruined the old mural by the marine artist known only as Wyland but a new rather more colorful, possibly garish, mural has taken its place. Like most people who live in this town of constant change I get a bit leery when something new pops up - again! - and my first question, a reflexive question really is why do they have to change it? In this case the garish stripe at the top suddenly looked like a tropical sunset when my brain cleared and I realised that the top of the building looks west when seen from this side and the sunset ... Well, you get my point. In my defense I am no artist and it takes me a moment to see these subtleties.

I ignored the no trespassing signs and peered through the dusty window and of progress inside there wasn't much to be seen. However I have come to realize that construction apparently stalls out from time to time for some mysterious reason, then hey presto! the job is equally mysteriously done and everyone goes home after packing up their tools.

There was lots of fussing about the brew pub proposal at first when neighbors learned of plans for a rooftop terrace facing the water but music restrictions were written into the permit, so that calmed people down. Some talk of a bowling alley had raised its head but according to the developers of the property a bowling alley wouldn't make enough money to sustain the property. So brew pub it is, we think.

I actually quite like the idea of a brew pub. Which if it is anything like The Porch, owned by the same people, means there is a chance we'll get a second adult watering hole in a town devoted to juvenile drunkeness. The mural seems like a good start.

No comments: