Monday, August 11, 2014

Webb Chiles in Tonga

Webb Chiles is a remarkable man now busy sailing the Pacific in an entirely unsuitable boat, a Moore 24. He has a history of being unsuitable, sailing an open boat most of the way around the world, trying to commit suicide by sinking his boat and changing his mind -too late! - and thus struggling to survive. Too often these days we find ourselves reading people doing silly things and justifying them as being the best thing anyone could do with their lives. I prefer people who travel for pleasure, for the challenge not as a fundraiser to increase "awareness." I like the unvarnished truth, not jollity in praise of the improbable. If you read my blog you know my Key West is unlike anybody else's, warts and all. Treasure Webb Chiles and his legendary sailing:

self-portrait in the present sea journal: Neaifu, Tonga: pounded: A distressing trend has emerged from my immediate post-passage entries. Instead of reporting how great the sail, I repo...

4 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

At least you know how to sail. I would end up like the penguins in the Madagascar movie.

Richard M said...

I am trying to figure out whether you think that this is a good thing or not. A 24' open boat on an around the world trip does seem pretty small. But it does look like there is some sort of minimal cabin to hole up in if needed.

I would agree that I enjoy the stories from those traveling for the fun of traveling much more enjoyable than those saying "look how much I'm suffering" for the sake of the story.

Conchscooter said...

Jeffrey,when you win the lottery stay on land!
Richard: Webb Chiles is on his 6th circumnavigation, so he knows what he's doing. To me sailing is a way to see places not to set records, but I enjoy his blunt honest style.
Chiles is in the heroic category as he does it for fun, not to raise awareness or raise money or any other reason than to challenge himself and live life on his terms. And he's in his 70s!

Bryan said...

Webb is an incredible sailor and seemingly fearless. Thanks for the update.