Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Doug Bennett's Old Key West

  I read this essay on This Week On the Island and I have been going back and enjoying the pictures since Doug published it two weeks ago. I never asked Doug for permission because he has no contact info on his page but I know he reads this page from time to time...so Doug, when you are reading this let me know if I don't have retro active permission. The pictures are fabulous and you have the link to his blog so read it here, unabridged or read it on Doug's own page. They are well worth the look:

It is kind of in between things here in Key West, so I thought some old pictures may be nice.
Pepe’s when it was at 202 Duval Street.
202Duval Street, Key West
208 Duval was ‘The 208 Bar’, then ‘The Old Anchor Inn’ and is now The Red Garter and part of the Durty Harry Complex.
Old Anchor Inn, Key West
B.O.’s Fish Wagon when it was a wagon on Duval.
B.O.'s Fish Wagon
The Duval Club long before it was Captain Tony’s.
Captain Tony's Saloon
The Gulf of Mexico end of Duval Street before ‘Zero Duval’ and the current Pier House and  Sun Set Pier.
Pier House,Key West
The old Fishermans Café where Harpoon Harry’s is now.
Harpoon Harry's Key West
Before ‘The Bull and Whistle’.
Bull and Whistle
Tank Island now called Sunset Key
Tank Island, Key West
The Charcoal Hut is now ‘Willie T’s’.
The Strand, Key West
We leave you with the opening of Margaritaville at Lands’ End near Turtle Kraals’.
Margaritaville, Key West
Key West you have got to love it
'Close to Perfect, far from Normal’
Doug Bennett
Lat 24.5591N, Long 81.8016W
You may join this group by going tohttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThisWeekontheIsland/

3 comments:

CJ said...

These are terrific. I will be checking out this gentleman's blog in the future.

Mike Ward said...

Great photos, not a $5 T-shirt shop in sight...

Ken said...

I went to Key West two years ago for vacation and I fell in love with the place. This is a really cool post, I love the pictures of what Key West used to look like. Especially seeing Duval street and what it used to look like!