Saturday, September 3, 2011

Camping For Crowds

Near Mile Marker 39 there is a campground which in winter is filled with vehicles and people and tents and boats all down in the Keys for fun under the sun.


The campground is known as a retreat for working people from Miami a weekend hang out as well as a vacation spot and a location for winter homes. In summer Ohio Key is quite quiet by comparison.


The RVs remain while summer rolls on toward the Fall, and some few residents come and go. The store and Chevron gas station at the entrance are open and make a convenient place to buy a cold drink to take to the nearby beach at Veterans Park at the foot of the Seven Mile Bridge.


The fishing is said to be excellent here as it is anywhere in the Keys. But I am no fisherman.


The views are fine too, this one below taken from under the old Flagler Bridge.


Imagine this place packed with people having fun. I am horrible at being in a crowd. I'd rather be alone but I recognize I am a feeble human when it comes to socializing and I do my best when called upon by my socially adept wife.


I'd rather have a wolverine gnaw my arm off than live cheek by jowl with strangers.


Labor Day promises cooler weather eventually, in some distant future when the tents will fill and people will be around to pay attention to important signage.


There's my campsite, the one all by itself, in the middle of the bushes.


I missed my calling, I should have been a hermit.


-Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conchscooter:

If I had $500,000 to drop on a 40' RV, the last place I would want to park it in would be in one of these squater parking-lots. I wonder if a man could make a real fortune with an RV campground that offered privacy. great views and other ammenities?

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Conchscooter said...

I liked traveling by sailboat ecausenyou could always find privacy as most sailors anchor in company justlike people on land. Most RV parks that I have seen maximiz return by packing em in like sardines which is why my ideal form of travel is Bonneville plus hotel room.