Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Higgs Lake

The Citizen newspaper had some spectacular pictures of Old Town flooding this morning. The city got five inches of rain yesterday, sufficient for some crazy youngsters to go swimming on Front Street in the same water that knocked over and covered a couple of motor scooters.


Higgs Beach this morning was underwater, a serene lake at dawn.


Cheyenne took one look and walked swiftly away until she met a youngster who took to then older bitch in a way that seemed to embarrass my dog.


Cheyenne's reproductive days are past her but I figured she knew how to cope so I used her momentary discomfort to play with my camera.


Higgs Park as bayou:


The locals were making a killing while they could.


But chickens stuck to the dry stretches.


Compared to flooding we have read about Up North, where we are told climate change is a fantasy, our regular rainy season isn't much to write home about, especially as the sun has reappeared today, regular as habit. But the heavy rain on a day off made for an interesting change.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thanks for the pix - I love seeing the usual in a different way. Must have been the same line that hit us yesterday, also with about 5". Although we flooded in some areas of the city here, we were lucky that it hit us at low tide so there was no damage to structures or cars that I've heard of.
Diana

Conchscooter said...

People driving through water were apparently pushing waves into the buildings alongside. The more I live on stilts the more I appreciate them.

David B. said...

Beautiful pictures! I love it when you do the "Old Florida/Sepia Tone" landscapes.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conch:

This has certainly been a year for flooding everywhere.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads