Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Egg Fruit

I was uncertain if there was anything for me to photograph on this block of Margaret Street but of course there was and I got a lot more than I bargained for, because I got breakfast too!


I watched for a while as he poked the tree with his cage on the end of his stick. He deftly twisted the big yellow fruit off the tree and dropped them in the front basket on his bicycle. Of course I had no clue what they were.
"Are they guava?" I asked trying not to feel foolish. It seemed like a reasonable guess especially considering how hopeless I am when it comes to identifying flora and fauna.


"No," Gavin let me down gently. "They're egg fruit." seeing my look of astonishment he went on, "They've got a kind of custard inside." Huh? Count me in I love custard. "Well, not exactly custard, sort of..." He petered off lost for descriptive words. He kept picking, and then suggested one of the ripe ones on the ground were perfectly edible.


Boy! Were they ever!


"I like teaching people new things," Gavin said, explaining he's lived in Key West 29 years, and is amazed how many fruit trees people cut down. This one was about to get the chop until Gavin intervened with the clueless owner, though he pointed to a neighboring guava that got mangled by owners with no idea what a treasure they owned. People come to Key West and want to change it; you'd be amazed how often that happens. They come because they like it here, then they want to change it.


We went our separate ways, me eating breakfast on the hoof and getting the sweet sticky powdery fruit all over my fingers, my shirt and my camera. But best of all I got two seeds and now they are sitting at home in a bowl of wet paper all set to germinate, I hope.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

David B. said...

For your eggfruit seeds:

Seeds lose viability rapidly and hence after extraction they should be cleaned, dried slightly in the shade and sown in well drained medium comprising top soil and organic material in a 3:1 ratio.  Seeds sprout in about 2 weeks and the seedlings should be transplanted to pits or polybags  when they have 4-5 leaves.  Field planting should be done after 6-8 months. 

Conchscooter said...

I got the first part- they rode home in my shirt pocket. I shall follow on from there.
Several years ago I bought a piece of jackfruit at Fairchild Gardens in Miami and of three seeds I got from the fruit one survivor is now three feet tall. Things sometimes grow despite me!

Suwannee Refugee said...

Egg fruit, huh. Learn something new every day.

Amanda said...

Had never heard of eggfruit before, but am excited to learn of it. It looks delicious and eggy inside.

Good luck with your seeds.

Anonymous said...

Another unique part of the Florida Keys. The heritage society should run with this too. No one should be drawn to the keys by Avocados