Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hermit Crab

I was pulling over to let Cheyenne out for the start of her afternoon walk when I was forced to slam on the brakes (honest, officer!). The long black trench in the background is where my front tire stopped suddenly and locked up in the mud.


The reason I had to make an emergency stop was because I spotted this shell in the road, and I slammed on the brakes when I saw it move. It was alive!


I pocked it up to move it to safety but I had to have a look. It's not often you get to see a hermit crab in a shell this big.


It's unusual but not unheard of. As the crabs go they have to find larger and larger shells which can get tricky. I have heard of hermits that have been found to be using discarded glass jars.


He popped outa moment to check me out. We looked at each other and I decided to torture had to end.


I had spared his life but it was time for him to be on his lonely way.


Cheyenne had long since wandered off and was sitting up the road wondering what the bloody hell I was doing?


It was walk time!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That crab is so cool!

I hope you can come to the street festival on Duval one week from Friday. Mac MacInally will be performing as well as other great trop rock musicians. Music starts at 1:00 pm. Free and open to the public as it should be. The KW PD and FD are always there selling their t-shirts. I'll be the guy wearing the Livingston Montana hat.

Bob from snowy Livingston Montana

Conchscooter said...

I will be working so i may be able to make it. I am no parrothead though...