Sunday, October 16, 2011

Occupy Mallory Square

Yesterday the Occupy Wall Street protests took on an international flavor with protesters around the world taking a coordinated day of protest to make their feelings felt.


In Key West they gathered, sang America the Beautiful, off key but with feeling, and took their protest to the street, despite utterly gruesome weather.


I find it hugely ironic that this 40 million dollar yacht was anchored in the harbor across the water.


Seafair isn't just a 228-foot yacht for the one percent, it is also a shallow draft boat-for-rent for people who need to party or jewlers who want to exhibit their wares up and down the East Coast of thenUnited States. It is in short a boat looking to attract a "high net worth" clientele according to their rather clich├ęd website.


Whatever, it is nice to know our pensions have been wisely spent keeping it and its high net worth followers afloat.


They attracted an audience and I was glad I stopped by on my way to work. Unlike New York PD which has been spraying hitting and running protesters over with scooters Key West's finest have been behaving in their usual unobtrusive decorous way around the peaceful assembly. The crowd drew some attention...


...but others found the ubiquitous chickens of greater interest.


Next up: how does Europe plan to disintegrate? I watch and wonder when our turn will come. I miss the bad old days of pretend affluence and economic bubbles and illusion. I wish it could have lasted just a bit longer.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Capt. Joey said...

"I miss the bad old days of pretend affluence and economic bubbles and illusion. I wish it could have lasted just a bit longer." At 63 I do too, nice writing.....